Sunday, October 23, 2011

About me

I grew up in a small city in southeastern Ohio in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I earned my bachelor's degree in journalism with minors in plant biology, geography and environmental studies, and I have worked at a few newspapers. I moved from Ohio to Oregon in 2007 and settled in Salem, working at the SJ for four-and-a-half years before deciding to leave my 11-year career. My choice to pursue teaching was based on my experience as a Master Gardener. After I moved to Oregon, I became a certified Master Gardener in Marion County, and I decided to focus my volunteer time with the "All About Seeds" schools program, in which Master Gardeners go to K-2 classrooms to do student workshops. It was during that time that I began considering becoming a teacher. My primary authorization level is middle school science/math, and secondary is elementary education. I chose science because of my undergrad experience and my interest in engaging more females into the sciences, and I chose math because it is a subject that I feel is necessary across many fields of employment. I enjoy gardening, hiking, camping, dragonboat paddling and learning to play ukulele.

I am late in joining this class, and understand I am not required to get caught up on all the previous blogging assignments, but I will attempt to complete as many as I can from before I was enrolled (such as best practices and standards) and, of course, continue updating from enrollment onward. I have joined the Lesson Plan group about Measurements with Joe and Ben and contributed information to that Google Doc as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment